Wednesday 18 January 2006

Online Forums

I've been involved with online forums for years. First off with the 96.5 Forum (Brisbane Christian Radio Station), and I was able to meet many of the members in 'real life' and felt part of an amazing little community.

After some issues the forum was shut down, and most of us moved onto the Gold Coasts Christian Radio Forum, or the 107.3 Life Forum. Again I've been able to meet people in the real world, and make some awesome friends.

But over the last few months I've noticed how much bickering, complaining, backstabbing, putting down, slander and jealousy there is on these forums. I wonder if because it is a 'faceless' means of communication we think we can be more upfront and direct in the way we speak to each other.

Unfortunatly I found myself responding to some of these attitudes in kind, and suddenly noticed that I didn't like the way I spent my time on the forum, and the way it made me feel.

So I stopped posting. I still read the forum, and many time's I'd like to fire away a reply, but I've been able to restrain myself. I haven't posted in over 3 weeks, and I'm feeling a lot better about myself, my attitude and my Godly witness.

I'd like to contribute again, but I don't think it will be in the act of replying to posts, but mainly posting encouraging and thoughtful topics and ideas for other people to think about.

As a bit of a disclaimer, I don't think the attitudes on the forum are the fault of 107.3, it's a fantastically set up forum, and having met one of the moderators, she was able to give me an insight into how they make sure the forum stays in line. I have a lot of respect for the moderators and they do a great job. And the ministry at 107.3 in broadcasting to the Gold Coast is awesome and something I'm totally behind.

Check them out. www.1073.com.au

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons