Sunday 26 February 2006

Nostalgia Drag Meet – 26/02/2006

I love old muscle cars! And I have absolutely had my fill today. Willowbank Raceway was packed with pre-1972 cars from both Australia and the USA. There was over 100 in the ‘Show and Shine’ competition and 75 race competitors, and it was the best day of racing I’ve seen since starting the Chaplaincy work with Dad.

The Willowbank team were running on a skeleton crew today so Dad and I ended up helping on the track (and in the process build relationships with the blokes we were working for). Dad was the ‘water boy’, basically using the hose to leave the start of the track wet so the cars can do their burn out before their run. I kept an eye on the cars doing their burnouts and made sure nothing came off the cars or spilt on the track while they were doing it. So that meant Dad and I were on the start-line all day, and it was fantastic.

I’ve never inhaled so much smoke and been covered in so much rubber; even after showering I’m still picking pieces of rubber off my arms. BUT IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!

Some of the highlights of the day were the twin turbo 351 V8 Mustang, a superchargers 1932 Ford 3 Window Coupe and a 1968 Pontiac Firebird. Unfortunately that Firebird’s day ended in the wall, it was a pretty sickening crash and it destroyed one of the most beautiful cars at the event. The driver was fine and walked away, but it was a horrific crash.

Also on the start line I noticed a 1947 Anglia backfire and the exhaust on the top of the carbie light up. I was able to stop the car before it took off, and the fireman simply blew out the flame and once the car restarted he was still able to do his run.

So I had a great day, and we were also able to build our friendships with the rest of the guys working on the start-line.


**There’s no substitute for cubic inches!**

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons