Thursday 24 January 2008

Crappy Work

Every job has that work or task that no one wants to do. It gets put off and put off until the unluckiest person (or the lowest person on the food chain) gets forced to do it.

Well yesterday I was in one of our offsite store rooms, and the 'crappy' work that had been put off for ages was cleaning up all the old computers, monitors, keyboards, mice and cables. We're currently in the middle of a huge PC Rollout - and since I've been running the whole thing I could have quite easily delegated the task of 'clean up old stuff' to one of the guys working on the project with me.

However while there yesterday I decided that I'd do it myself. So about 3 hours later, after lots of lifting, moving, sweating and organising our store room looks much more manageable. I even found a couple of models of computers that shouldn't have been there, and 3 brand new monitors that hadn't even been taken out of the box.

Anyway once finishing I felt great. I'd had a decent work out - but more so, I'd accomplished something quite visibly. The problem with working with computers is that most times you don't physically see the fruits of your labour. Well starting with cables strung across the floor... computers in piles of 2 or 3 right across the room.... monitors leaning against each pile; and then ending up with neat stacks of computers, lines of monitors and boxes with each specific cable in them is a real visible salute to the time and effort you've put in.

So sometimes the crappy work can be the most rewarding... if only we'd remember that when we're trying to palm it off to someone else.

Maybe more stuff would get done then????

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons