Saturday 10 January 2009

Remembering Harry

On my birthday I take the time to be very thankful for my life, just the simple fact that I am living.

Every year I celebrate my birthday, but also remember a friend 'Harry' who passed away on my 15th birthday.

Harry was a class mate, he had diabetes and the morning of my birthday in 1997 Harry had a fit in his sleep and choked.  As a group of 15 year olds we were all shattered, and there is still a plaque with Harry's name in the entrance garden of the West Moreton Anglican College.

So with the celebration of my birth, there will forever be the flip side of the remembrance of Harry, who passed away. His father works at the drag strip I'm a chaplain of, and I've enjoyed getting to know him, because I didn't know him at all at the time.

I can't imagine how he feels today on the 12th aniversary of his son's death.

So Harry reminds me to be thankful for the simple face of living, for breathing, and for getting to actually share my birthday with people around me.

1 comment:

Felicity said...

Amen to that - and a happy belated birthday!

Btw, we go to the same Church! I'm the 'newer' girl - I normally sit up the front and spend time with Nat B and Sare E. I wanted to come up and say hello the other weekend but got sidetracked (as normal) so hello!

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons