Wednesday 11 March 2009

Timing and Thankfulness

I played my djembe in college chapel today.  My old djembe has been a ornament in my mother's lounge room for the past 3 years... I haven't played it at all.

Today I realised that leaving a drum to sit for so long isn't good for it... the skin is dry, the rope is loose and the poor thing sounded pretty terrible.

To the untrained ear it sounded ok though, and many people said the African drum added a different dimension to the musical worship time today.  But after chapel one of the third year students came up to me and asked me if he could tune the drum for me.

To his trained ear he'd picked up that the djembe wasn't quite right, and he had knowledge I didn't on how to actually tune the thing.  It took about half an hour, Ryan untied all the string and then went about tieing it all back on tightly and tuning the drum as he went.

I was so thankful, as I love my drum, and this may actually encourage me to play it a little more - it sounds great again after it's tuning.

And also I'm thankful that God in his timing had me pull out my djembe just on the day someone was around who knew how to fix it for me.

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons