Tuesday 16 June 2009

Goodbye Best Mate!

Over 12 months ago I posted here about my dog Wilson starting to slow down. At the time he stopped eating and wouldn't get up when people came outside - luckily back then it was just a tummy bug of some sort and he got better in a few days.

But at 13 we knew he was slowing down for other reasons too, and now a year on at 14 Wilson passed away today.

He's been getting worse and worse these last few months. Arthritis in his back had caused his back legs to grow really weak and he had struggled walking for a while. However no matter his physical condition Wils had continued to show a great spirit of life and push through any physical difficulties to continue being a faithful dog and companion.

This past month has been really hard though, he was totally deaf and it became obvious he was losing his sight as well. He
kept falling off the veranda at home and could not make it back up the single step, so would just collapse on the cold grass and wait for someone to find him. It's been really tough on Mum, since Brett and I have moved out and she's been left caring for him. We knew Wilson's time was almost up, and with winter coming that he would not be with us much longer. Ever time I've visited Mum and Dad out in Ipswich I have made sure I've spent plenty of time out the back with Wils not knowing if it would be the last time I'd see him.

Last Sunday I noticed a distinct difference, he seemed confused and disorientated, constantly stumbling in circles and not interacting with me like he has for the last 14 years. Today Mum let me know that he was having some trouble breathing, and couldn't stand at all. They made the decision and took him to the vet. Mum said that on the vet table Wilson just lay down and closed his eyes, he was ready, and it's so strange how dog's can sense timing so well. Usually he hated the vet and was abnormally agitated but this time Mum said he was totally at peace.

It's hard not being there, and knowing the next time I go 'home' he won't be there.

We've had Wilson since he was 6 weeks old, just a little bundle of white and grey fur which grew to be my best mate. I was in high school when he came into my life, and through all the troubles of growing up I always knew if I went into the backyard to vent my dog would always come and sit with me - it was like he always knew when I needed company and comfort.

I've been privileged to only have 2 dogs in my life, both of them living till they were 14. My childhood is filled with great memories of Sol, and then Wilson was there as I grew to become a man. I think pets really teach us important responsibilities and Wilson was mine through those important stages of my life.

I always joked (but in honesty with much truth) that while in Africa I missed my dog more than my family - every time I've been away from Ipswich I have always missed my pup, wanting to get home to see him.

And now the thought of returning there and him not being there causes tears to flow down my face.

I don't know how to round this post up, I just felt the need to spill my thoughts and emotions somewhere - I know some people would think it silly, writing an 'ode' to a pet - and I know some people don't get attached to their pets - but I feel like I've lost my best mate, and I'm gonna miss him.

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons