Thursday 10 February 2011

Actually Praying

I must admit that many times when I am 'in prayer' my mind is going 100 miles an hour organising and planning stuff coming up.  With youth group ramping up and college going back I find my mind is constantly dwelling on those things and any moment with my eyes closed is time to get some of that stuff sorted.

I find I have to really focus on prayer to pray.  That might seem weird, but I have to remember the privilege we have in being able to communicate with God, and I have to remember who I am talking to - someone who deserves our respect, to the point where He is someone we are not worthy to commune with; except for his allowing it.

I was taking prayer for granted - now I'm trying not to.  Any other tips?

3 comments:

Mel said...

Great thought!

Fred Aeon said...

I like to abstain from food for a few hours beforehand, and certainly any alcohol. I also find it helps if I have something meaningless to focus on for a good hour beforehand (almost like pre-prayer meditation), to clear my mind of this world's concerns and obligations.

g said...

why empty your mind when the God of the universe is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient AND he is the one wanting to commune with you through prayer?

Is it not better to spend time worshiping him and meditating on him... than something meaningless?

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons