Wednesday 7 November 2007

Car Search Continues

I took the brand new model Mitsubishi Lancer for a drive last night. Wow! I never expected it to drive better than the Subaru, but it out-shines it easily. The Lancer feels sharper, more responsive and more comfortable.


I've been doing a lot of reading of late, and am slowly changing my ideas on a purchase of a new vehicle. Funny enough, it isn't looks, performance or 'newness' that's influencing my choices, but the safety equipment being fitted as standard in these latest model cars. The Impreza and Lancer now come with Electronic Stability Control, Cruise Control, Driver, Passenger, Side and Curtain Airbags and the Lancer even has Knee Airbags and Active Traction Control.

Maybe I've been working for the RACQ for too long, but it's that equipment that is starting to sway me to spend a touch more and purchase a new vehicle. If a second hand car had this stuff I'd probably still be looking at them, but it seems to only be these 2 new models that have been upgraded to such safety standards.

I guess I also find it a little ironic, that the swaying factors in buying a car are functions you hope you never use. The fact the Lancer has every type of airbag available is a selling point, but I know if I ever use those airbags I'm going to be in a whole heap of trouble.

RACQ works kind of on the same principle I guess. You join RACQ to have the option of Road Side Assistance, but you don't ever really want to use it. RACQ has always said they sell 'Peace of Mind', knowing that if something goes wrong, you have the peace of mind of knowing RACQ will come and help solve the problem.

So this extra for a new car??? I think it's just buying Peace of Mind, knowing that if something does go wrong, I'll be in the safest possible vehicle.

However it does mean that I'll have to sell the XR6 privately to get enough money. Trade ins and change overs just make it too expensive... so anyone know someone who'd like a near perfect condition 1997 EL Falcon XR6 Manual?



2 comments:

Mark Edwards said...

What about resale on the Mitsubishi?
Have Mitsubishis thrown off the bad tag their second hand models had?

Subarus have incredible resale values....

g said...

This new Lancer may change that - it's not the 'cheap bottom of the market' car other Lancers have been. The base model now sits with the Corolla and Mazda 3... it's spec levels higher though.

However something i didn't mention previously... the new Lancer comes with a 5/10 year warranty. Meaning you get 5 years full cover, and 10 years on the drive train and engine components.

Meaning that the purchase of this car would be a long term thought process so resale hasn't really come into it as yet.

I still like 2006 model Imprezas though, but finding one is proving very hard!

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons