Sunday 18 May 2008

Completed the Walk through Middle Earth

Back in January I posted about starting reading through the Lord of the Rings trilogy again. Well I finished 'Return of the King' last night, completing my venture through Middle Earth.

I'm just in awe of the world J.R.R Tolken created, the history of Middle Earth that is in the back of the books, and the family trees just give such an amazing insight into the actual world where The Lord of the Rings is set.

I've enjoyed just pottering through the books, not reading them all in one go - but just when I've had some spare time... I've read other books during this time as well, but every now and then I'd pick up my 3-in-1 book and keep following Frodo's plight.

My favourite part of the book is at the end when the 4 Hobbits return to The Shire to find it over run by rough men. They didn't even put this in the movies, and I get the feeling Tolken rounded the whole story off perfectly with the 'scourging' of The Shire. It's like all the important stuff Frodo, Samwise, Merry and Pippin went through and accomplish was all melded together to save their own people right at the end.

The many Gospel links, and analogies to Christ and the end times just heighten the enjoyment of the story... and create some good thinking moments along the way.

It certainly is my favourite book series ever!

1 comment:

Gareth Williams said...

Me too. I was disappointed the films didn't have that last section in, it's my favourite.
Overall I was disappointed in the films. They didn't seem to catch the true vibe of the books. Though I understand the dilemma Jackson had.

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons