Friday 8 August 2008

Let the Games Begin

The XXIX Olympic Games in Beijing China are just about to begin!

You can't ignore the political, social and humanitarian issues surrounding the games this year, but in essence this event is about supporting your country and enjoying good friendly competition.

I love the Olympics, I love Australia and love supporting my country, in sport or anything else.

The only problem in China is it's government - the people are amazing, they want the games so much, they are so welcoming of outsiders, they love deeply. I felt slightly convicted to boycott the Olympics this year in support for the Tibetan people and the human rights of Chinese people. However I couldn't overshadow the passion of the Chinese people, and the honour of our Olympians, so I will be watching and enjoying.

In support for my country, and the Chinese people, and the people of Tibet - I bought a t-shirt this week, it's green and gold, with "I Support Human Rights" in both Mandarin and English on it. You can buy them here, from the Australian Tibet Council. I'll wear it with pride throughout the duration of the games.

China is an amazing culture, so old and full of history. Kung Fu and marshal arts, the art, the gold sculptures and weapons are just fantastic, the language is beautiful - a craft to speak and write, something I wish I was still able to do. It's only in recent times with the communism that the people have been so suppressed.

Even when I was there in 1995 Beijing was an overwhelming mix of old and new... Tiannamen Square with its dark political history, the Forbidden City with it's rich heritage, the amazement of standing on the Great Wall... it has to be one of the most diverse and culturally rich places on earth!

So I look forward to 2 weeks of good games. I pray that good will come from the exposure to all of China's issues, good and bad. But let's just see the Aussies do well!!!!

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons