Wednesday 20 August 2008

What I've Been Waiting For...

As a kid most people have those aspirations to be someone great. It might be swimming and watching Ian Thorpe, maybe little athletics, softball, equestrian or tae kwon do. The Olympics every 4 years gave you an opportunity to see the best of the best competing for the ultimate prize; a gold medal.

As a kid the sport I loved, and did really well at wasn't an Olympic sport, it wasn't even a big professional sport - just a child's activity really. However as I grew up I gave up this sport, but others didn't, and it's now a pro sport, and for the first time this year an Olympic sport!


Watching the BMX has brought back so many memories of a sport I loved, and was really good at (even at a young age) - about 8 years ago I jumped back on my trusty BMX (which was about 8 years since I'd raced) and hit a local track with some of the younger guys from youth group. I surprised myself (and the boys who were with me) by getting some serious air and running pretty quick laps around the track.

I'm feeling a desire to pull the old bike out again after seeing the grace, speed and power of these Olympic riders. The Beijing track is amazingly intense - with one 13m jump for the men. The Aussie's are well placed - 2 in the finals tomorrow, with them coming into the games 2nd and 5th in the world ratings.

It's fantastic to see BMX now an Olympic sport, and I wonder if I'd had the dream of a gold medal when I was younger would I have been so quick to give it up?


(Photos: http://www.foxsports.com.au/beijing_olympics/beijinggallery/0,27379,5033940-5017127-2,00.html)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't had a chance to see it on TV so won't comment on it....but lol@Kamakaze, who may or may not know that he spelt his new name wrong?

Shelley

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons