Wednesday 25 July 2012

Considerations on Baptism

This is something that's been on my mind a bit lately.  I have had numerous discussions with people about Baptism. Some coming from teenagers who have grown up in the church and it feels like a natural progression of their faith. Other's who seem to not think they're good enough for it, even after professing a faith.  Then there are some of the mid-week walk ins who want to be baptised for so many different reasons, they need protection from spirits, or they have surgery coming up and want some 'help from God'.  In these cases where there's no apparent understanding of what faith in Jesus really means I find myself sharing the Gospel and trying to show how intrinsically baptism is linked with that.  I think in most cases the people leave my office ready to find someone else in another church who will just give them what they want.

The wrestle I've really been having though is those who do profess a real faith. Should I just fill up the baptismal and get dunking or do we nurture that person with some classes and teaching over time to ensure they understand what they're doing?  I was very happy to be able to watch this video from The Gospel Coalition today. I'm glad I'm not the only one facing these questions.


No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons