Sunday 22 June 2008

Socially Hopeless

Truly I think I am... these days I find it so hard to fit into a group of people in a social setting. I can't just hang with one group, I find it infuriating that people can form little groups and totally ignore other little groups around them. It seems each little huddle is oblivious to each other.

But I am not...

I flit between groups, unable to join totally into conversations or activities cause I'm always aware there are either people missing out, or doing other things.

It means I always feel like I'm not exactly fitting in, I probably appear nice, and friendly to everyone there, but it still leaves me with a hollow and unfulfilled experience of community.

In most ways I think the problem is my own, I just can't seem to find a place to throw myself into - I'm the one left quiet not knowing what to say or do...

Is there social training available somewhere? I don't think I've only been like this, only the last few years... so I don't know what's gone wrong...

4 comments:

preacherman said...

I don't think it is you.
I think everyone struggles with the same thing.
The world is changing and people are so sceptical of other. Trust in rleationships is hard to find. So many people have been burned. So don't feel like it is just you. It is not.

preacherman said...

You can always do what they did on the Saturday Night Live sketch...
Look in the mirrow and say to yourself: "I'm good enough. I'm smart enough and doggonnit people like me!" :-)

g said...

i don't think it's a problem of people not liking me... or me not liking them - i just feel i can't get so involved with everything going on...

Unknown said...

I remember talking about something similar to this with my mentor over the course of a year of mentoring. One of the things he suggested to me was to go out of my way to approach people that I wouldn't normally speak to...

Rather than mixing with a group, I'd try and find people on the fringes and chat to them.

Dunno if that has any relevance, but it popped into my head as I was reading. Good on ya mate.

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons