Wednesday 20 April 2011

Devotional Greek.

In my first year of Bible college the 12 month Greek course almost killed me.  The amount of work I had to do just to keep up with the subject was ludicrous, the amount of information we had to learn was so intense that I didn't really enjoy it, and wondered if it was really worth it.

The last year I did an exegesis subject on Romans in Greek.  It was very theologically heavy, with hard translation work, and a lecturer I didn't quite click with.  I did alright though and began to see the extra meaning and insight you can pull from the text when you understand the original language.

This year I am doing an exegesis of John in Greek, the story of Jesus, the words of Jesus and I am really REALLY enjoying the translation.  I find sitting down every week to translate another chapter of John is more of a devotional time than a study time.  I find so much worth in the words, and keep having 'ahh haa' moments as the Greek text opens itself up to me.   The classes as well are good times as D expounds on the text with many insights which I am finding very rewarding.

I may be struggling to find motivation to do assignments, but each week when I sit down to translate I come out the other side feeling much better than when I started.

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons