Tuesday 5 September 2006

Tribute to Steve


Where were you when you heard the news of Steve Irwin's death? I think that will be a question a lot of us will be asked (and will remember the answer too) in years to come.


I had a lot of respect for the Crocodile Hunter, and I had the privledge of meeting him back in 1994 when I was 12. My grade 7 school camp included a visit to Australia Zoo, which at the time was a modest Crocodile Park (in fact I'm not sure it was even called Australia Zoo back then,) and part of the tour was getting to meet the owner, Steve.

Crocodile Hunter aired in the USA from 1992, but even in 1994 he wasn't well known in Australia, but just after our visit was when the first of his documentaries began to air on Aussie TV. At the time though I was drawn in to this amazing man, who took a lot of time to show us kids some stuff about Aussie animals. He made each one of us feel real special, even stopping his prepared talk when a Huntsman Spider crawled up the wall. He grabbed the spider with a 'Crikey look at this' and proceeded to tell us what an awesome creater this spider was. He took every chance to educate people on conservation.

That was the only time I ever met Steve; but from that one encounter I've always felt I've 'known' him; as I'm sure many of people around the world felt. To hear of his death yesterday really shocked me. A stingray of all things took the life of the crazy crocodile wrestler in a freak accident.

Makes you reflect on our lives here, how quickly they can be gone, and how quickly we enter eternity that lasts forever. Where do you want to spend eternity? Doesn't that matter more than what you do on earth?

My prayers are for his family. Bindi, Bob and Terri, it must be so hard to loose a Dad and husband, especially with the whole world watching. I pray you are comforted with the love only God can give, and that you can find a way to trust in him that all will be alright.

PHOTO - taken from www.australiazoo.com.au

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons